Transfer Resources

Normandale Community College offers many resources to help facilitate your transfer.

Academic Advising

The Advising and Counseling Department offers academic advising by appointment and on a walk-in basis in the Nath Advising Center. Faculty and staff can assist you in determining the courses best suited to your intended degree program and/or your eventual transfer.

^ top

Articulation Agreements

 The College has many formal agreements, or articulation agreements, with other colleges and universities in the region. These agreements facilitate the transfer of your Normandale coursework to a specific academic program to which you intend to transfer. A list of our agreements are available on the articulation page at  Students are encouraged to declare they are following an articulation agreement upon transfer to a university.

^ top


The Nath Advising Center is a place to meet informally with an advisor or counselor or to get in touch with many resources to assist in your transfer planning and decision-making.

^ top

Course Descriptions and Outlines

Common course outlines (CCOs) help determine how your courses will be accepted at your transfer institution. A common course outline is the document approved by the college that reflects a course's title, description, prerequisite requirements, credit value, lecture/lab breakdown and intended student learning outcomes. CCOs can be found here.

A course description is derived from the CCO and appears in the college catalog.  Like the CCO, it includes  the course's title, description, prerequisite requirements, credit value, and lecture/lab breakdown.

^ top


CollegeSource Online is a database of more than 58,000 college catalogs, institution profiles, transcript keys and other critical resources that will help facilitate the transfer of your courses.

^ top

Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)

DARS produces a report designed to help students identify and understand their academic requirements by:

  • Identifying all requirements needed to complete a specific program;

  • Indicating courses already completed and how they pertain to the requirements; and

  • Specifying what is still needed to complete the degree or program and the courses from which students may select to satisfy each requirement.

The interactive degree audit report (DARS) can be viewed when you are logged into eServices by clicking on the "Grades and Transcripts" link on the side of the screen, followed by the "Interactive Degree Audit Report" link.

Students are encouraged to review the DARS report with an advisor or counselor as early in his or her college career as possible, especially when the student has transferred credits to Normandale and to request a subsequent evaluation when changing majors.

^ top


Transfer guides for all Minnesota State schools and the University of MN can be found at Transferology or by speaking with an advisor or counselor. For other Colleges and Universities, consult the school's website.

Transfer resourses are listed below.


^ top

GPA Calculator

Our GPA calculator can help you determine the grades you need in order to achieve a specific GPA by combining the grades you have already earned with the credits (and projected grades) you have yet to attempt.

^ top

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) is a set of ten goal areas of general education coursework adopted by the public higher education institutions in Minnesota. Students may transfer their completed general education work at one public college or university to meet lower division general or liberal education requirements at any public college or university in Minnesota.

Once a public Minnesota college or university determines that a student has met the requirements of the MnTC, it will be accepted as complete at all other Minnesota State institutions. If a Minnesota State institution determines a student has satisfied a goal area, it will be accepted as complete at all other Minnesota State institutions. Similarly, if a Minnesota State institution applies one of its courses, or a course accepted in transfer from a regionally accredited institution, toward an MnTC goal, all other Minnesota State institutions will apply that course toward that same goal area. Click here to visit the AA and MnTC page, which provides links to our MnTC Program Guides/Worksheets.

^ top and Transferology is your gateway to the information you need to transfer among Minnesota's state colleges and universities and the University of Minnesota. Find out how to transfer, whom to contact, and obtain information about financial aid, student services and more.

Transferology is a multi-state, web-based transfer information system that provides you with fast and accurate course and transfer equivalency information. You can obtain program information, course descriptions and equivalencies, and access student services websites (admissions, financial aid). By creating a plan, you can see how your courses transfer to other participating colleges and universities. Minnesota Transferology is a collaborative effort by the Minnesota State system and the University of Minnesota. One great feature in Transferology is the ability to import the courses you have taken at Minnesota State institutions to monitor your progress toward a selected degree, certificate or MnTC program at other Minnesota State institutions. 

^ top

Transfer Evaluations and Appeals

Normandale's transfer credit evaluation procedures were created in accordance with policies established by the Minnesota State Board of Trustees.

Types of credit accepted
Normandale considers credit from

  • All regionally accredited institutions

  • Non-regionally accredited institutions (upon review of information submitted with an academic petition)

  • International colleges and universities (the transcript must be accompanied by an English translation and an evaluation completed by a credential evaluation service that is recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)

  • International Baccalaureate. Students shall be granted 6 semester credits for scores of 4 or higher on each higher level examination, plus 2 credits for each standard level examination with a score of 4 or higher. More information is available in Transferology.

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Program. Students who earn a score of 3 or higher are awarded credit upon submission of an official AP score report to the Office of Admissions.  Visit for information.

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Students who earn a score of 50 (with higher scores required of foreign language level 2 examinations) are awarded credit upon submission of an official CLEP score report to the Office of Admissions. Visit Transferology for information.

  • DSST (DANTES). Students with passing scores on DSST (DANTES) examinations are eligible for credit.  Visit Transferology for the equivalency guide.

  • Military courses and training

For more information, visit  or the Advising and Counseling webpage, or make an appointment with a Normandale advisor or counselor at 952-358-8261.

If you are dissatisfied with decisions made about how your coursework will transfer to Normandale, you may appeal the decision by submitting an Academic Petition form with supporting documentation to the Academic Affairs Office in C 2113. The petition form is also available from the Mahendra Nath Career and Academic Planning Center. Advisors and Counselors can answer your questions about how to complete it. Each Minnesota State institution has an appeal policy in place, so be sure to consult your intended transfer institution if you have questions about the result of your transfer evaluation.

The Academic Petition Form can be accessed below. Select which version is best for you:

  • Academic Petition (PDF version):download, print, fill in with a pen or use Acrobat, mail in or email

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your appeal, you have the right to appeal at the Minnesota State System level. Information about the system level appeals is located in System Procedure 3.21.1, Transfer of Undergraduate Courses, Credit, Associate Degrees and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.

View Board Policy 3.39, Transfer Rights and Responsibilities, to understand students' and institutions' rights and responsibilities as they relate to transfer of credit.

^ top

Transfer Action Plan

The Transfer Action Plan is a step-by-step checklist to help you explore the transfer process and navigate the resources available to you as you go through transfer.

^ top


When you transfer, you must submit a transcript of all institutions you previously attended to your new institution.  If you are transferring from one Minnesota State institution to another Minnesota State institution, you will not need to request for your transcript to be sent as it can automatically be accessed by the receiving institution. Transcript ordering information is available here.

^ top

Veterans Education Transfer System

Information about Military credit transfer for veterans and service members.

^ top